Thursday, November 20, 2014

The DUFF

There are very few books that I read and think, if this becomes a movie I can play the main character.  It just doesn't happen often.  First there is my body shape.  Even at my best weight ever I wasn't skinny (And that's okay).  Then my type of humor.  Of course as an actress the whole point of acting is to be able to become whomever.  But in these brief instances... my acting would be minimal and I'd be able to empathize with the character through my own memories and feelings.
Silly notions of course... these random books would never be made into movies and I'd never be able to audition for them anyway.
Well low and behold I was right about only one of those aspects.  I haven't auditioned for anything since college so no, this isn't a surprise way to tell everyone I'm going to be in a movie.  BUT the book I loved and pictured myself playing in is going to be out in theatres early 2015.
It's called The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend. The book was so good that I ended up buying the next three books the author, Kody Keplinger, wrote.  Unfortunately I was mildly let down by the lot of them because in the end the only one I really truly enjoyed was the first, The DUFF.
It's a Young Adult Fiction novel (shocking I know).  Nothing magical or mysterious.  Just a run of the mill story about a girl who has a sassy attitude and doesn't let being the DUFF define her.  It's a bit edgy comedy romance but fun overall.
I am indeed excited that I get to see this book on film.  I'm just sad I never got the chance to wow the casting directors with my uber awesome talent.  Lost opportunity for the world I guess.



No comments: