Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 13: The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth

Song of the Day: Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri. The first time I heard this song was on So You Think You Can Dance, and surprisingly enough the best dances make me yearn for those particular songs to help me always remember them. I have quite a few that jog my memory, including this one. But beyond the fact it was on one of the best television shows ever, it really is simply beautiful to listen to. Heartbreakingly beautiful, because it's all about heart break and what not. So good.
Today way full of pure awesomeness. First we headed off to Parliament bright and early. I thought it was going to be lame and rather boring. Boy was I wrong. First of all I got to see Big Ben!!! Peter Pan anyone??? Well it was awesome, and luckily we got this wicked tour guide who looked like he belonged to a really cool rock group back in the 70's. He was so funny and interesting... I couldn't take notes fast enough. It was interesting to find out how different their government is than America's. Not that I'm the all knowing sage when it comes to government but it was neat to compare what I did know. And the very best thing was realizing I was standing in the House of Commerce where William Wilberforce brought about the end of slavery in England. (the original house burned down in WW2, so it was a remodel.. but an exact replication according to Winston Churchill's orders) It felt simply amazing.
Later on my roommates and I went to the nearest public library and got our library cards because we get points for having them on the first day of class. Yay for easy points. I got a really cool card with books on it too. I felt very special indeed.
And finally we were off to see my favorite Shakespeare play of all time, A Mid-Summer Night's Dream. It was located in Enfield park which is literally the last stop on the Picadilly Line (one of the underground tube lines). So there are 23 of us total squeezing onto the already semi-full tube. We had 17 stops to go before our destination. For about 13 of those stops we were jammed together like a pack of sardines. It was hot and ridiculous. But an experience none the less. We finally get to Enfield where it is raining... shocker right? but the play is outside so we had to keep our umbrellas up for a bit.. But luckily once the show really started it never started raining again. However, I will note that just because it stopped raining doesnt mean the ground was suddenly dry. Oh no.. the ground was wet and muddy, and by the end of the show my pants were as well.
I also forgot to mention that this is a Promenade theatre, meaning we, the audience, move to different places during the play. Well we literally moved around the entirety of the HUGE park. I think we walked at least a mile if not two. But I'm not saying this in a complaining type manner.. no no.. it was absolutely WOW. It just edified why I love this particular play so much. The acting was phenomenal. I was able to take a few pictures which you see here. The first two are of the fairies. This particular fairy was Puck, and disappeared when called on by Oberon. Puck was probably the only character I had issue with, because after Stanley Tucci's rendition in the movie I saw Puck as a wise but slightly foolish servant.. where as here the girl played him very Gollum like. The final monologue was brilliant though I will admit (and if you dont know what I am talking about then shame on you.. go out and read A Mid-summer night's dream right now. You can get it online free at Sparknotes.com.. or just rent the movie) The next photos are of Helena pursuing Demetrius into the woods, but he is trying to stop her by tying her to a tree... didn't work though. And finally the last picture is the final scene when Puck puts the lovers to sleep and fixes his mistake.
On top of all that wonderfulness, there was the audience interaction. Three times they picked on me. First Flute (the man who was, reluctantly, to play Thisby, the girl, in the play for the Dukes wedding.. he was so freaking hilarious) chose me to dance. He just came up to me grabbed my hand and we ran around a tree while they all sang. Then in the woods Puck froze time, and stole a dress and plopped it right on top of my head. And finally Bottom mistook me for one of the characters in the play. I felt truly honored by the end. This experience only validates my career choice. I couldn't be happier doing and being apart of anything else.
I seriously don't know how these upcoming shows are going to top these last two. I'm stunned.
Well tomorrow is much less exciting, but filled with a new church and both chocolate croissants and jelly filled doughnuts!!! Both of which are heavenly. Until next time! ^_^

No comments: