Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 3: I want to live in a Palace.

Song of the day: The Only Exception by Paramore. Simply amazing and totally mellow. Makes me want to sip tea and eat loads of crumpets. Not that I really know what a crumpet is... but I'd be totally down for eating them all.
So today was pretty productive. I'm getting really good at navigating the tube, which may not seem all that fun, but I have a grand ole time figuring out which line to get on and where to go and so on. It's awesome actually. Next I will conquer the buses... those are a little more intense I feel, but we'll see.
First stop today was Buckingham Palace. Jessica was my partner in crime today and we adventured it up. Back to Buckingham Palace. It was seriously a palace. 775 rooms. and of those rooms like 80 were bathrooms. haha. made me chuckle. But we took a tour of the state rooms. Which if you have ever visited Washington DC and visited the White House... I'm pretty sure they stole quite a few ideas from this particular palace. Every room is a different color. They have a green room and white room and blue room and well i think you get the point. It was very interesting. A tad pricey... 15.50 pounds. which is the equivalent to like $23 or so. Lame, but worth it in the end. This here is a picture of the Palace from the backyard. It was quite amazing is all I'm saying. The Queen wasn't there though.. she's in Scotland.. but we got to learn all about what she does in a year.. Being Queen is one busy job is all I got to say.


Then we headed over to St. Paul's Cathedral because that is my project that I will have to present early October, and I thought hey! I might as well get started early! We arrived there and unfortunately it cost almost 10 pounds and at this point I already thought I spent enough money on site seeing today... so Jessica and I decided to visit somewhere that was actually free. The Tate museum of Modern Art. And to get there we had to walk over the Millennium Bridge... any Harry Potter fans recognize the bridge from the 6th movie??? huh huh??? It was amazing to walk over it!!! and it was so long!!! it doesnt seem that long when you begin it but it seems like it goes on forever. And the domed building behind it is St. Paul's. Pretty huge church. But anyway we walked over this bridge to get to the gallery which was HUGE. 7 story brick building. And it was even wider than it was tall. like I said, HUGE. There were some really cool paintings and pictures and sculptures for sure. But there were also things that I looked at and was completely confused as to how anyone could see it as art. Or at least good enough art to be in a national gallery such as this one. Seriously.. there was one that looked like he just cut out random squares on colored cardboard paper and put it all together.. and then he explained that his inspiration came from a snail.. it made me laugh. alot. But there were some pretty AMAZING ones that were totally art. like Andy Warhol!!! he's awesome!
So that was my day. I didn't get to the store I wanted to visit because my feet were literally begging me to go home.. and rest. So that is my plan for tomorrow.. on top of seeing a play. Welcome to Thebes. It shall be interesting, and as usual you will find out all about it tomorrow! Until then. :D

No comments: