Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 1: London Calls, I Answer

I have officially arrived in London England. Talk about a whirlwind adventure. I said goodbye to my loving family around 230 pm Las Vegas time on August 1st. Then I got on my huge 747 plane and chilled for roughly ten hours. I watched How To Train our Dragon again... Seriously, I just LOVE that movie. Truly love.
Now it wasn't a packed flight, thankfully, and I was able to stretch out and sleep for about 4 hours. All in all it didn't seem like a ten hour flight. Which I was grateful for. And the food on the plane? Yeah.. totally yum. Virgin Atlantic is the way to go.
I also sat by this man, named Alex. He helped me with my baggage at the very beginning of the flight but we didn't talk until about the last 30 min. Which all started by him complimenting my Teddy Bear. He even asked his name! The teddy bears name that is, which is Shakesbear just so you know. And then we started chatting and it was nice to hear what someone from London says about London. He definitely got me hyped up. Though when we finally began to descend it all felt so surreal. I mean I'm in LONDON!!!!
So we land and everything goes so smoothly. Never been through customs before and sure it was a long line but it went by fast. And at least I didn't have to wait for my luggage because of it. And then I went to an ATM and got pounds!!!! I felt all British and accomplished. Which is slightly odd considering that an ATM isn't exactly foreign.. but the money is just so cool!!!
That's when I went down to the Train station area and hopped on a train to London Victoria where I would be able to hop on the Underground (the tube). The train was a pleasant ride, I took pictures of nothing... but because I'm in London that nothing is totally something. And then we got to our destination. Which was SOOOO busy. And when you're carrying a 55lb bag and a 30lb bag with a backpack, pillow, and parka... well its not exactly easy to maneuver. But I got through it and for the first time used my British money to buy my Tube ticket. Now up until this point I think I was pretty blissfully ignorant...
Because when the tube is called the underground.. it means Underground.. and because its like super duper old.. it doesnt have elevators.. so remember all that luggage I have?? yeah.. I got to carry them down about three flights of stairs..
And that's when I realized how nice Londoners are (well some at least... i can't exactly generalize quite yet.. but I digress). This middle aged couple offered to help me. But then I had to handle the baggage all alone the next flight of stairs and that was fun.. to say the least.. mainly because I was freaking out making sure I was going down the right flight of stairs.. and then figuring out which line I was supposed to take. Needless to say I got on the right one and took it all the way to Earl's Court.
Now if I thought taking my luggage down the stairs was difficult.. lets just imagine taking it back up the stairs... Literally took me about 5 min. But finally this lady came by and offered her help.. again.. Nice Londoner. So then I was off walking down the street towards my final destination.
I had to make several stops to make sure I was going the right way, because the directions sound like its maybe a three block walk... no no.. it was more like a mile.
Mind you, I checked the weather for today and it was supposed to be like 71 degrees.. but what those internet weather sites dont tell you is that because of the humidity.. it actually feels like its about 89 degrees.
So I finally got to Lee Abbey.. sweating more than I have in a very long time (gross I know) and now I am waiting until 4pm until I can check in. I keep seeing people from PLNU walk through the lobby but because I dont really know them I smile awkwardly and go back to typing this blog. I think it's mainly because I don't want to move because I'm still really hot. No air conditioning. Which is fine.. when I'm not all gross like.
So that was my account of my arrival here in London. Bombdiggity right?

2 comments:

Meg said...

Yay! You made it! I'm so excited for you! Be sure to update your blog often for all of us who wish we could be with you! You're going to have the time of your life :)

Cynthia said...

SO glad you go there safely! Im excited youre going to be blogging so i can read it when i miss you! Hope youre having a wonderful time! love you!