Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 7: Sunday School Rock

Song of the Day: Pressing On by Relient K. Bringing it back to middle school.
Today I went to two church services. First one was Hillsong church. It was located inside a theatre. Which in essence made me a tad biased...but I enjoyed it very much. Although I like smaller churches where you get to know absolutely everyone, I've gotten used to my huge church in vegas so this one didn't bug me because of it's size. I loved the music even though I didn't know the songs, and that is very rare. Usually I get annoyed and unmoved, but not this time. And then the sermon was about Esther. You can't ever go wrong with my favorite book of the bible. I just liked it. alot. I want to go back!!! Maybe see if it can give me the same welcomed feeling.
Second church was Holy Trinity Brompton. The church itself was beautiful. This old brick church/cathedral with a stained glass window and everything. Much smaller and much more traditional. I actually knew two of the worship songs out of five. And the speaker wasn't too bad. He talked about words, and particularly their use in evangelism. It was interesting and probably moving to some people. But I don't know.. it just didn't feel like the earlier church. and then I found out that a group I wasnt with went to this little picnic afterwards and no one talked to them!!! So I think that just turned me off entirely. I want to check out more smaller churches... but this one definitely wasn't calling to me like Hillsong.
In between church services we went to Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. This is where anyone can stand up on a podium and discuss what they believe, whether it involves religion, science, economics or politics. I listened to a guy with a cowboy hat speak about Christianity... but he wasnt doing a very good job. there was just a lot of yelling going on around him and by him and it was doing no one any good. And then I listened to this Muslim man who spent the entire time declaring what was wrong with Christianity instead of explaining why we should turn to Islam. And I would just like to note that his explanations were using the Bible completely out of context. The whole place was very interesting. I even listened to this guy talk about aliens. like I said, interesting.
Finally I want to discuss tpday's food. I HAD A CHOCOLATE CROISSANT FOR BREAKFAST. it was the yummiest thing ever. That is until I went to high Tea and ate a jelly filled doughnut. Now you may be thinking.. ew, jelly doughnuts aren't all that great... but this one was like a little slice of heaven. I don't know what they do differently, but it's amazing!!!
I just had a great day in general. I'm actually making friends!! People I'll be able to hang out with beyond school work. It made me so happy. Well tomorrow we go to another play and I'm hitting up the Science Museum!!! I love Science!!!! well... As long as I'm not in a classroom setting I love science. Until next time. :D

No comments: